Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Tawny

It was just over a week since the hatching now and the scratches on his arm plus the 'lovebite' on his leg had healed over nicely; they were still a bit sore but he was pretty much back on routine now, though taking their morning runs slowly.

Ahhh, but today was that fun task of clearing up the mess that a hatching always left on the sands and in the stands. First time he'd been assigned to it he'd thought it was just plain cruel but last time he'd taken a more philosophical attitude to it, closure and all, and he carried that through to this time too....

But it still sucked.

At the entrance to the sands Lorux picked up a bucket and a rake and turned to Soleil who was joining him for this fun shift of picking through the shattered shards of their hopes and dreams. "So why do you think they get candidates to do this job?" he asked, he didn't know Soliel all that well - though her frostyness was pretty plain to see, possibly all the way from the northern continent - so something topical like that seemed like the easiest way to start a conversation.

Holder, who was draped across Lorux's shoulders, peeped a shy greeting at the young woman but wasn't bold enough to stretch his neck out to ask for a scratch. The other three firelizards, the confident ones, were already fluttering around the sands in search of bugs or other critters that might have been attracted to the spilled egg fluids and odd bits of food dropped in the stands.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 11:02 AM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Prongs

Soleil didn't want to do this. It seemed needlessly cruel, making the candidates be the ones who cleaned the sands. Like it was some sort of punishment for their failure to Impress. She stood at the entrance to the cavern and stared out over the sands, letting her emotions wash through her. Hurt, sadness, and a terrible anger at the candidatemasters and leadership for making them do this.

None of it showed on her face. The look she turned on Lorux was icy and remote. She watched as he picked up a bucket and a rake before reaching out and gathering her own tools. It was tempting to just get to work and ignore him. This chore would be terrible enough without having to deal with the idle chit-chat of a person she didn't know or care to know.

"Because we failed," she said coldly. Her icy blue eyes regarded him for a second before she moved forward. The messy sands were still warm underfoot but nowhere near as hot as they had been during the hatching.

She paused and looked down at the shell shards in front of her feet. There was a gleaming golden piece of the Conflicted Egg, and there a shard of the inky Audacious Egg. Neither of them had seen fit to choose her. Anger swept through her again followed so swiftly by sadness that she almost caught her breath. Those hatchlings had chosen the only two 'friends' she had in the Weyr, and she was truly happy for them, but being passed over and left behind hurt.

Crouching down, Soleil carefully picked up that piece of the Conflicted Egg and stared at it. Her lip wobbled just a little bit and was swiftly brought under control. She was glad her back was to Lorux - he hadn't seen that moment of weakness. "Where do you want to start?" she asked, standing up with the piece of eggshell still in her hands.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 12 2018, 03:45 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Failed.

Yeah, it did feel like failing didn't it? It wasn't their fault no dragon had wanted- that the right dragon hadn't been there to choose them but it still felt like... Yeah, like failing.

"I don't think that'd why they do it, but it kind of feel like it right?" Lorux said slowly as he watched Soleil crouch to pick up a shard of shell. When she turned to him, piece of shell still in her hands, he smiled a little and nodded at it. "I was going to collect a piece of each again like I did last time, give them to all the new weyrlings. I know I'd want a piece of my dragon's shell if I ever do Impress but it's the last thing on anyone's mind at the time, right?"

Where to start though? Lorux scratched his chin and looked around, he'd done a lot of cleaning in his time but nothing like the sands - not 'til he'd come here to Sirocco anyway! "I reckon we should start in the middle," he said eventually. "It's messiest here so we can get that over with quick before we tackle the odd bits further out, and then the stuff in the stands if we got time."
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 05:41 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Soleil looked at Lorux, and then at the shell in her hand, before she rolled her shoulders in a shrug. She hadn't been planning on collecting pieces for anyone except Ceony and Lesalia, but if Lorux wanted to do it he could knock himself out. Without responding to him she scooped up a piece of Tenameth's shell as well and set them carefully to the side.

She considered the middle of the mess, looking at all of the clumps of egg-goo crusted sand and shell pieces. "If we start in the middle we'll track through the mess when we go to get empty buckets," she pointed out frostily. "And we'll track bits of shell and such through clean sand."

Lorux could start in the middle if he wanted to. She would start on the edges and work her way in. Maybe if they each started in a separate spot things would get done faster. This was definitely a chore that she wanted to finish as soon as possible. Silence rang in the cavern as she got to work, Soleil being more than content to keep her peace. The unpleasant task was already bad enough without adding any kind of small talk into the mix.

But there was something he'd said, something that she felt deserved an answer. "I imagine they'll appreciate the shell shards."
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 05:51 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

"That's why you leave your boots at the edge of the mess, but you can do what you like!" Lorux replied affably with an expressive shrug; this way around seemed easier and quicker to him even if it did involve slightly scorched feet but she was entitled to her own opinion, and anyway she might not have such tough skin on her soles.

Getting Soleil to talk felt a bit like trying to get blood out of a stone so he was pleased when she did response a bit more, and he paused in scooping up soiled sand to smile and nod at her. "They will! These shards will matter to them for turns after we've forgot being disappointed so... Yeah, I guess that makes me feel a bit better about it all. A bit." The last 'a bit' came with a more wry smile and a shake of his head. "It hurts, right? Dragons you felt like you connected with in the egg, and then they walk past you on hatching day?" Soleil had been at the previous hatching as well as this last one and it didn't really get easier to get left behind.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 07:22 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Soleil just lifted her head and stared at him. A lot of the shard pieces she could see just by looking down had sharp points on them. Points that, even with the shells being a few days old as they were, would probably stab easily into the sole of an unwary foot. "If you end up bleeding on the sands again I don't want to hear it," she said, her voice as soft and chilly as fresh snow.

Her own boots still firmly on her feet, Soleil got to work picking up shell shards and the like. Any shards that looked like they were from Rekenth's or Tenameth's eggs were carefully set aside. Maybe instead of just handing her - Soleil's mind carefully bleeped the word 'friends' - shards of egg she could make something out of them instead. If that was her plan the more shards she had the better.

"Will you forget?" she asked sharply. Lorux was optimistic and part of Soleil appreciated that but the part of her that was still bruised from being looked over made her want to lash out. "We might not Impress. Ever." That kind of disappointment would last and last, especially if one stayed at the Weyr. Which Soleil intended to. She may not be a healer but perhaps being a dragonhealer would be interesting.

Which was an occupation that would rub salt in the 'I didn't Impress' wound should that be the case.

Against her better judgment she leapt on something he had said. "Did you bond with any of the eggs, then?" she asked, her voice absolutely freezing.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 07:35 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Lorux responded to Soleil's frosty lack of interest in his potentially bleeding feet with a laugh. "Oh don't worry about me; I've got tough feet and I know not just to stomp down, treading light's always smart even if you have got shoes on." Stray nails and that could easily go through if you just trod your heel down without a care in the world, assuming your good boots would save you.

"I liked Dreamer - Yensth - and I felt like he... maybe approved of me? Or where I was going?" Lorux shook his head a bit as he scooped up more sand; it was hard to put into words but he'd like the brown, and he'd given him stuff to think about. "And Balance too, Hamith." He looked more certain of this one and smiled a bit too. "I felt like he was trying to get me to do something good now, not to wait and wait for a dragon that might choose me one day." One day. Maybe.

"And I guess forget was the wrong word," Lorux went on as he carefully selected a nice piece of the Dreamer egg and put it into the pouch on his belt. "Not forgot, but got over yeah? You can't spend all your life mourning something that went wrong, even if it was big. Even if we don't ever Impress we'll both have a life to live, choices to make, friends, a purpose to find...." Good point.

Lorux studied Soleil curiously and leaned on his rake. "What did you decide to become a candidate then? You were an apprentice right? Good life that, something to be proud of." He'd always respected crafters, sure you had to have some luck to get in to start with but when you did you got nowhere much if you didn't have skill.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 05:02 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Perhaps she needed to hang out with Lorux more. All he needed was a three-word question and he could fill the silence for ten minutes or so by himself. Soleil was content to let him chatter as she worked, only tuning in here and there to every fifth or so word that he said. She had picked up enough shell pieces and deposited them carefully into her bucket to feel content breaking out her rake, and had just started combing the sands into smooth lines when one of his comments broke through.

It was completely possible to spend your life mourning one thing. "Sometimes you don't just 'get over' something." It was hard to snarl and be cold at the same time but she managed it, and she carefully punched her rake down into the sands for emphasis. Didn't want to accidentally stab a crawler now, did she? If that happened she'd feel worse than she already did and besides, that new bronzerider M'ton would probably sense the creature's death and come running dramatically onto the sands, ready to point a finger at her and yell some more about her icy heart.

Soleil couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't throw her rake at him if that happened, so it was best for everyone to just be careful.

Lorux questioned her candidacy then, and though she knew he didn't mean it badly she chose to take it that way. When she looked at him it was with every bit of ice and 'danger: do not tread here' that she could muster. "I still am an apprentice," she informed him. What were candidates but apprentice dragonriders, after all? Weyrlings were the journeymen, actual riders the masters. It was the same system with different titles.

"I thought my amazing bedside manner could be put to better use elsewhere," Soleil added in a deadpan and very serious voice. She mentally gave herself a pat on the back for the joke and then went back to raking the sands.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 07:09 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Touchy!

Lorux wasn't unused to people snapping at him but generally in the past they'd actually had the power to do something to him so Soleil's outburst didn't worry him. It did tell him to let up though and he wasn't going to keep pushing at the point just because he was a bit peeved at her tone.

"No, I guess not," he shrugged affably as he picked up another nice shard of shell and stored it safely in his bag. "Some stuff sticks with you but you've still got to get on, still got to live, right? Get past it maybe." He obviously wasn't phrasing any of this well, and obviously he'd hit a nerve or three as well, but he was doing his best and that counted for something right? There was nothing either of them could do to improve their chances so....

Lorux paused and looked down into the bucket of dirt sand and egg fragments he'd collected so far. "I don't know what I'll do if I never Impress but I'll make it something worthwhile," he said rather more softly and seriously than was usual for him. He'd got Searched, got lucky, got a chance at riding a dragon and if that didn't happen... if that didn't happen he could still do things that mattered, that were important, that helped people.

Annnnyway, that was a bit heavy and Soleil was actually making a joke - more or less - so he was happy to move on!

"True enough!" he replied cheerfully. "And I'm sure you can use that manner to pull the new lot of candidates we're bound to get before long into line. You do much work in the infirmary though, keeping your hand in like? Healing's a useful skill for anyone, especially a rider."
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 16 2018, 07:31 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

And some stuff caused you to come up with coping mechanisms that you couldn't get rid of or get past no matter how hard you tried. Soleil kept her features still and smooth as she worked her rake through the sand. At this point she didn't trust herself to look up at Lorux because even though her features were still her eyes were blazing with emotions she trusted no one else enough to let see.

His soft comment pulled her out of her own thoughts enough for her to risk glancing up at him. He sounded determined and Soleil could appreciate that. "You could always apprentice somewhere," she said shortly. Her tone was cutting, as usual, but her words were honest enough. If he didn't Impress then he could pick up a craft. He could stay at the Weyr or he could go to one of the Holds or go back North if he so chose.

Pulling the new candidates into line. Ha! Soleil fought the urge to roll her eyes as she moved on to another patch of dirty sand. As she moved Phin popped in above her head, the brown cheeping and chirping happily at her as he settled onto her shoulders. Soleil wasn't aware of it - and she would deny it viciously if someone else commented on it - but her features softened ever so slightly when her firelizard joined her.

"Catch anything good?" she murmured, just barely suppressing the urge to laugh when he started cheeping and trilling at her like he was telling her a story. Her blue eyes cut to Lorux and considered him for a moment before she shrugged her free shoulder. "No. I..."

Tell him something personal, Soleil. It won't kill you. "I didn't much like being a healer," she grit out, looking physically pained as the words passed her lips.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 17 2018, 10:31 AM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Soleil's tone was pretty sharp when she made the suggestion but Soleil always sounded sharp, she'd probably sound sharp even if she was declaring love to somebody. Lorux smiled a bit and nodded; "Yeah, I could. I'd be old for it but with age comes wisdom right? Well, your flame-length may vary on that but I'm pretty sure I'm less of a twit now than when I arrived." He'd been full of some pretty stupid ideas back then, he'd just turned sixteen, though honestly he felt like one of those was pretty much like two different ways of pronouncing the same thing - sixteen : little tit.

"I'd want to stay here though," he continued as he switched to his shovel to dig up an especially big clump of mucky sand. "I owe Sirocco, right? I can't just go pushing off if... well if it does come to it." He really, really hoped it didn't. "Maybe I could take up a craft here and join a ground crew?" He shrugged. "Maybe, I hope I don't have to figure it out though." If he Impressed a dragon he'd have a better chance of doing stuff that mattered and... and he'd never be on his own again. He had loads of friends here at Sirocco but they kept on Impressing, and those who weren't candidates were busy with their own duties, and some of them had left for Holds and.... And the ones he got closest to, who felt like family, sometimes he couldn't shake the cold feeling that one day he'd wake up and they'd be dead. It was stupid - well, not stupid when it came to the riders - but there it was. With a dragon you lived and died together and he wanted that security a lot, far more than he'd like to admit to.

The appearance of Soleil's firelizard pulled Lorux back out of that rather gloomy train of thought; he grinned and watched the moment of affection out of the corner of one eye, so maybe he'd been wrong about her being sharp with people she loved! Or then again maybe firelizards were an exception, it was hard to be sharp with a cute firelizard.

Four cheeps of greeting came from around the sands and Rukbat broke off his hunt for bugs to fly over and greet the brown, though luckily he landed on the ground to cheep up at Phin instead of trying to land on Soleil's shoulders alongside him.

What Soleil said next came as a bit of a surprise, enough of a surprise to make Lorux stop work and look over at her again. "No?" He'd never heard a crafter say that before; perhaps that was why Soleil had become a candidate?... He didn't think that could be all of it though, she'd very definitely told him not to dig at that anymore so it didn't seem all that likely that she'd out and tell him right afterwards. "Maybe you could start learning some other useful skills then, like leatherworking?" Lorux suggested, looking back at his work again rather than goggling at Soleil's gritted teeth. "When you Impress that'd come in handy, maybe more than any other craft going." He really hoped it was a when, for both of them.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 11:31 AM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

All of them, every single one of them, was hoping that they didn't have to think about what they would do 'after'. It was inevitable that some of them would age out of candidacy before they found their dragons, but every candidate in the barracks liked to think that that wouldn't be them. Lorux wasn't alone - in fact, he had a companion in that hope of his standing on the sands with him right at that moment. Not that Soleil would ever admit that aloud, of course.

"What do you owe Sirocco?" she asked, arching a cool eyebrow at him. As far as she was concerned they didn't owe the Weyr anything. They were already offering up their lives to the dragons, and they were giving their time and labor through the candidate chores and lessons besides. There was no time for them to rack up a debt to the Weyr because they were already paying for their keep, as far as she was concerned.

Owing something wasn't the same as being loyal to. Loyalty was earned, and Soleil had given Sirocco plenty of that since she'd been Searched. What Lorux was talking about was different, at least until he explained in a way that made her think otherwise.

Phin cheeped back to Lorux's firelizards, his eyes whirling a happy blue. The brown didn't get down onto the sands with Rukbat but rather invited him up, cheeping and tapping Soleil's empty shoulder with the tip of his tail. He knew his bonded wouldn't mind!

"No." The word was simple and final. Leatherworking wasn't something she would get into past what was necessary for a dragonrider to know. Soleil stared Lorux down for a moment, her mind working furiously - both with and against itself - as she tried to come up with an explanation. Her nose flared delicately for a moment before she looked down at the sand to rake up more muck. "Maybe dragonhealing."
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 02:47 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Soleil's question surprised Lorux a bit and it showed in a lift of his expressive eyebrows as he paused to look at her. What did he owe Sirocco? He wasn't really sure how to put it. "The life I've got, I guess," he said after a thoughtful pause. "A chance? A chance to Impress, and... and even if I don't then a chance at a life that's more than just running around after people who're 'more important' than me." If he hadn't been picked out he'd probably have lived and died at Telgar Hold; safe, not abused like he knew drudges were in some holds, but still nobody of nothing and doing nothing - nothing that mattered.

"Apart from that though I wouldn't want to leave anyway," Lorux continued, continuing his raking at the same time. "Sirocco's home now; it's... well it's my place, I guess? It's part of me and I'm part of it; I want to spend my life making it as good a place as it can be for everyone, and helping it grow and thrive I guess? I know a lot of the other Weyrs still doubt us, by the time I die I want to have been part of making how we are here normal." It was... it was a lot and he hadn't been planning on any of it when he'd been searched, he'd just been angry with where he'd been before and excited about where he might be going. It was bigger than that though, it had to be, or what was the point?

Not leatherworking though? Well he couldn't say he blamed her for that, tanning stank like nothing else! "Dragonhealing," Lorux nodded, "we got a couple of classes on that, it seemed uh... fulfilling? And we'll definitely need to know at least a bit of it in future." Because they were going to Impress, next clutch probably! They just had to keep being patient, their dragons would show up eventually.

Rukbat chirped happily in reply to Phin, and seen as he was offered he fluttered up into the air and landed lightly - as lightly as he could - on Soleil's other shoulder.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 03:22 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Soleil allowed the silence to stretch between them as she considered Lorux's words. The extra weight of Rukbat on her free shoulder didn't make her raking any easier but she didn't complain either. In fact, she stopped raking long enough to pull treats out of a small pouch tied to her belt. One was offered to Phin, who gobbled it down greedily, and the other was offered to Rukbat.

Once her hands were free again she resumed raking the sands. She wasn't quite sure how to answer Lorux's declarations of loyalty and his reasons for feeling like he owed Sirocco a debt. She too was loyal to the place that had become her home, and to the people she had begrudgingly come to slightly care for while she'd been there. That didn't meant she felt like she owed Sirocco anything. At least at the moment - if this place shelled her dragon and allowed her to find that bond, well then, her feelings might change.

It was easier to be kind to dragons, to be open with them. When she'd been younger she'd been a good healer - her bedside manner had been impeccable, and she'd enjoyed the work well enough. That had changed as she'd hardened her heart to people, until healing them had become almost unbearable. Dragons, though? She could deal with dragons. And with firelizards - that particular thought earned her a cheep and a nuzzle from Phin.

Her jaw worked just a little bit as the silence began to stretch thin. She needed to say something - even an inexhaustable word machine like Lorux needed some input now and again - but they wouldn't come out. "Perhaps," she said finally, the word sounding thin and a little brittle.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 21 2018, 02:32 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

No complaints about Rukbat he noticed, in fact she was giving him a treat! Lorux smiled at the sight as he stepped out of his boots and moved quickly across the burning sand to shake his filled bucket out into a waiting barrow. Course, when he then returned and stepped back into his boots he got sand inside them but he could ignore it for now and shake it out later.

Speaking or ignoring it didn't seem like Soleil was going to reply to much of what he'd said. Maybe she thought it was silly? Oh well, no skin off his nose if she did but he did wish he could tell if she did or not, Lorux was usually pretty good at judging people's moods but Soleil was as easy to read as she was warm and chirpy. She hadn't told him to shut up though and so for now he was going to assume that she was't annoyed, just that she didn't have much to say herself about it.

"Right," he nodded as he collected a piece of the Trophy egg that showed a bit of its distinctive red band. "I think maybe I'd go into smithing; all the pipework around the Weyr's pretty amazing, leaning about that'd be interesting! I wonder if we can do stuff like that instead of repeating old classes - think I might ask about that actually. Seems daft to have us go over old ground again and again right?" If anything it just rubbed it in their faces that they'd been here long enough for some things to become old hat.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 05:48 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

A few more scoops of dirty sand filled the remaining space in Soleil's bucket. Lifting it would be difficult with two firelizards on her shoulders, unfortunately, which meant that she stood there staring at the bucket as if her glare could make it lift itself. When that magic didn't happen she sighed almost inaudibly and carefully bend down, hoisting it smoothly enough that she didn't disturb either firelizard.

Her muscles twinged in protest but she ignored them as she crossed the warm sands towards the barrows. Emptying the bucket without disturbing her visitors would have been impossible though. Phin obligingly lifted up long enough for her to empty the bucket, and then settled back on her shoulder with a gentle cheep.

"You want to take specialized classes in another craft as a candidate," she said, arching an eyebrow at him. "Sounds like starting an apprenticeship. Here. Take this." Soleil carefully scooped up a piece of shell that looked like a shard of diamond. She held the piece out to Lorux.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 10:50 AM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

"Yeah, it does don't it?" Lorux admitted with a grin and a shrug. "Maybe it's not that practical, maybe I'd not be allowed, but it couldn't hurt to ask right?" There were a limited number of chores candidates were set to so it wasn't like he'd be denying the Weyr work or anything if it was allowed, luckily! If he would he'd probably just have to suck it up and drop the idea as he was supposed to be working on work ethic and all that.

As Soliel held out the piece of eggshell Lorux approached her brows slightly lifted with interest as he took it and ran his thumb over the smooth surface. "Ooh, that's a piece of Hidden right? Thanks!" Ha, so she did care! Not that he was going to draw too much attention to it, or at least not right now! Lorux tucked the piece away in his bag and then headed back to work, stooping to pick up a piece of the smoky Fateful egg as he spotted it lying in the sand.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Mar 30 2018, 06:21 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Why had she done that? Picking up a piece of shell that didn't belong to either Ceony or Lesalia implied that she cared, which Soleil most certainly did not. Emotions warred inside her - pride and irritation and displeasure and the desire to pick up another piece of shell for the pile Lorux were making all scrambled together. It was a little overwhelming, to be honest. This was why she wasn't nice to people! Her lips thinned for just a moment as Lorux turned his back on her, but by the time he was able to see her face again she had regained control of her facial expression.

"Here's a piece of the Dreamer egg," she found herself saying as she bent to retrieve the shell. Somehow the white was still pristine - it hadn't yellowed at all, which she had half expected it to do now that it had grown a bit brittle. Soleil's nose flared delicately when she handed the bit of shell to Lorux, as if the nice gesture physically pained her.

Enough of this. Soleil briskly brushed her hands off on her skirts and grabbed her rake again, now scooping up sand with perhaps a little more vigor than was necessary. The sooner they finished the sooner she would get away from Lorux, which meant no more conversation or urges to do nice things, which meant peace.

"They won't let you skip lessons to do other things," she said shortly. There was a lovely piece of the Windswept egg right in front of her. She should - no. No she should not. To make sure she didn't, Soleil raked sand over it and then raked up the pile she'd created. There. That was better.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Mar 31 2018, 06:44 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Ohh, much may you flare your nose Soleil but nobody had made you pick up that shell now had they? Lorux really wanted to grin as she handed it to him but he just smiled instead; being a drudge had made him surprisingly good at schooling his face one way or another. "Thanks!" he said, cheerful but casual as he put it away and then picked up his own rake again.

"New lessons, course not, but is there really a point in making us go over old stuff again and again?" Lorux shrugged and shook his head. "Seems like a waste of time, and I just feel itchy sitting there listening and my mind wanders." He tried to stay focused but it was hard enough when it was new material, let alone things that were old hat. "I could ask," he pointed out as he picked up a bit of Balance and compared it critically to one he already had. "If you don't ask you don't get, am I right?"
^
Soleil
 Posted: Apr 1 2018, 09:32 AM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

"You would think the curriculum would be built with repeat candidates in mind," Soleil contributed absently. What did candidates who didn't immediately Impress get out of lessons that were just repeating constantly? At some point you had those things learned completely and it was time to move on. Surely a refresher course every now and then would be sufficient.

And it did make sense for those who needed it to start learning another craft. Just in case. Soleil's hands tightened on her rake as she realized she was actively participating in this conversation not just verbally but mentally. That needed to stop. "And if they tell you no, you'll just be able to shrug it off?" she asked icily, her gaze pinning itself mercilessly on Lorux's face.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Apr 1 2018, 07:53 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

"Yeah, maybe we could get split into different classes or something?" Lorux said thoughtfully as his thoughts trotted along from the ones Soleil offered. "Make sense right? Either teach more advanced stuff or send us off to do other stuff, and then bring everyone back together when a clutch is due to brush up on the important basics." Sirocco was still growing, for all he knew other Weyrs did it like that anyway but theirs hadn't had the resources yet? Another thing to ask!

It didn't really surprise Lorux when Soleil called back to what he'd said earlier but it did make him grin and he paused in his work to turn the lopsided expression onto the other candidate. "Guess I'd have to, or at least just get on with what I'm told. I've got on with worse than just going back over stuff I already know, it'd be disappointing but not the end of days." Not as bad as never Impressing not by a long, long, long shot but if that never happened he would have to get over it and so would Soliel if it never happened for her. That was life, sometimes it was shit and you just had to make the best of the crappy hand you were dealt.
^
Soleil
 Posted: Apr 7 2018, 09:15 AM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

Soleil snorted. The sound was a soft one but managed to carry in the mostly empty cavern. "They won't do it," she said flatly, certainly. Sirocco, for all its talk about splitting away from the old ways, for the fact that it had a green Weyrleader and claimed to treat dragon colors equally, seemed to have a rather remarkable desire to hold on to a lot of those Northern ways. Change didn't happen all at once she knew - the Weyr wasn't built in a day - but Sirocco had been around for Turns now and didn't seem much different from the north.

She shot him a bit of a hard stare before bending and scooping up one last piece of the Conflicted Egg's shell. "You are truly an inspiration to us all," she said icily. Soleil didn't know anything about Lorux's life before he had become a candidate, nor did she want to. He could keep his smiles and his friendliness and his attempts at inspirational speeches to himself - she wanted none of it.

To that point she picked up her once-again-full bucket and turned her back to him, marching carefully to the waiting barrows so she didn't upset Rukbat or Phin.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Apr 8 2018, 11:05 AM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

At Soleil's biting sarcasm Lorux cackled and posed dramatically against his rake. "I know right?" he said, pressing a hand over his heart and sighing theatrically. "It's only a matter of time before the Master Harper of Pern writes a stirring ballad about me and my great struggles; I'm glad you recognised my greatness before most others, you might even get your own verse for it!" Still chuckling a bit Lorux shrugged and went back to his work. "Really though I'm just thinking aloud, I'm not trying to inspire anyone or anything like that." Soleil obviously wasn't in the business of being hopeful about stuff; had she just always been like that, or been disappointed and got jaded, or learned it from a parent maybe? "We've all got to cope with stuff in our own way," he added, and then paused, and then laughed briefly again before concluding; "And that wasn't meant to be inspirational neither."
^
Soleil
 Posted: Apr 8 2018, 05:37 PM

Soleil

Candidate
The Ice Queen
Apprentice Healer

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

"I can hardly hold back my excitement," Soleil said, barely resisting the urge to roll her eyes at him. She recognized that he was posturing and making a joke, and part of her was amused by it. The rest of her was ready to be alone. Her tolerance for other people had been limited to begin with - add on a task like this, a task that reminded her every time she scooped up sand that she had failed, and that amount dropped to below zero.

It was a small blessing, really, that she had been stuck with Lorux. He didn't mind talking enough for the both of them, and he was relatively easy to tune out when she felt like it.

Coping. Soleil knew all about that. Her coping mechanism was visible for everyone to see and be repelled by, and it worked wonderfully for her. "Good thing, because it wasn't," she assured him icily. Once more scoop of sand was tossed into her bucket before she straightened up, subtly adjusting her posture to ease a bit of stiffness in her back.

"Will it pass inspection?" she asked, arching an eyebrow at him.
^
Lorux
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 03:26 PM

Lorux

Candidate
Scrappy and Hungry
-- --

N/A
N/A

Profile | Plotpage

"Heh, I'm sure you'll cope somehow," Lorux replied wryly as he scooped up a patch of sand that seemed to have blood in it - woops!

As Soleil straightened up Lorux did too, holding a nicer piece of the Dreamer egg than he'd had before and swapping the two over - new one in his pouch, old one in the bucket. "Yeah I reckon," he said with an appraising nod as he looked around; they'd done a good job of the sands and they'd worked their time, the stands needed doing but that was an easier task and whoever was sent up to do it could thank them for that! "Let's get these last buckets to the barrows and be off then, don't know about you but I'm starving!"
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Dear guests and new members: Cbox is to the right!
We also have Discord Chat - To join, please click here.

'Sirocco' based on Alpha 2.0 by gunblaza. Coded by Capricorn for Sirocco Weyr
Forum Topsites, Rankings & Listings. Please Click to Vote Here!
Pernese Online Shadowplay Topsites RP Lovers A Gift of Dragons
Online Communities
RPG-D Ruby Wings ListingsNerd ListingsRPG Initiative
Affiliates
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave