Octavia

Weyrling
Dragonrider
-- --

Malith
#33D7FF

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Effable

Malith needed yet another bath, she was quite amazed by the fact. It felt as though she had just bathed him but an hour ago, yet there he was bugging her for another.

With a dragon weary sigh, she pulled herself up from her chair in the common area and shooed him towards the weyrling bathing pools. With a blast of happiness and delight that left her mental ears ringing, Malith bounced ahead of her a sight to see as already he was an overly large blue.

She paused at their wallow long enough to gather up the needed tools and oils before continuing to follow the path cleared by Malith. Entering the bathing area she found that he had already dived into an empty pool beside Arria and her blue Daheth. Stepping carefully due to the wet floor caused by the wave of water recently displaced by Malith Octavia smiled in greeting as she set her bathing things down.

"Seems never ending doesn't it?" She said as she threw off her sandals as she almost never got through a bath dry.
^
Arria
 Posted: May 12 2018, 03:49 PM

Arria

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Daheth
#108FAB

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Tawny

In only four months Daheth had grown from a little creature who could lie in her lap to a handsome beast fully eleven feet long from the tip of his nose to his rump. His markings were more beautiful than ever, indeed they seemed almost to glow when he was freshly oiled.

And that's coming up, right? Daheth said to his rider as he stepped down into one of the bathing pools. Come on, these itches are going to rip my hide apart soon if you don't do something.

Arria smirked a little and shook her head as she stepped out of her light dress, leaving her in shorts and a simple vest. You're spoiled, she told her dragon fondly as she watched himself dunk himself thoroughly in the water; once he'd had enough he'd come out again and she could scrub him all over with rough soapsand, she had gloves ready to protect her hands and a brush to aid her with it.

Here comes Malith!

Arria turned to the entrance just in time to see the bright blue, who then promptly joined Daheth in a pool with a great splash that sent a wave of water lapping up over the edge of the pool. Turning again to the entrance Arria offered Octavia a small smile; a brash girl, very confident.

"It certainly does," she agreed with a crooked smile and a slight nod of her head. "I'm sure that these dragons are sent to try us, and our hands." Even with gloves to protect her Arria's hands had become dry and cracked from the constant work and exposure to water, though the southern lotions Sapphire had recommended to her had helped somewhat. "I think Dahaeth must be coming into another growth spurt with how much he itches, are you finding Malith the same my dear?" Arria called most everyone 'my dear' or 'darling', and offered most everyone the same small rather knowing looking smiles too.

Oh, please join me, Daheth said dryly to Malith. I mean there are so few empty pools, you had to come in here right? Right? The blue's mind radiated amusement then and he waded over to give his clutchmate a nudge. I kid, I kid, you're welcome to share with me. Got the itches hu?
^
Octavia
 Posted: May 13 2018, 06:00 AM

Octavia

Weyrling
Dragonrider
-- --

Malith
#33D7FF

Profile | Plotpage

Malith rolled around in the water sending a feeling of joy to all those close enough to feel it. "Well I thought that you looked so utterly lonely in this pool all by yourself Daheth!" He replied, cheek and gentle teasing colouring every word.

Octavia rolled her sleeves up and pulled on her own set of gloves, "Oh I think that he is in the throes of a growth spurt. When I woke up this morning I could swear that he was larger than when I went to sleep!" With a shake of her head, she scooped out a generous amount of soapsand and motioned to Malith, who exected the water with another large wave, that she was ready to start scrubbing.

He collapsed upon the floor and spread out his wings and started listing the worst spots, "Just behind my wings, there on my leg, just a tad below my cheek... So itchy!" With a chuckle Octavia started as she always did, at his nose, as it was the only way she knows to make sure she gets every inch of the over itchy and wiggly weyrling.

"Think that you are right, they are are like this to test if we have what it takes to be a dragon rider. If we can survive this we can survive anything!" She said laughingly to Arria.
^
Arria
 Posted: May 13 2018, 12:18 PM

Arria

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Daheth
#108FAB

Profile | Plotpage

Ha! Of course you did, Daheth replied, his deep smoky voice coiling around Malith in a friendly fashion. Now, how about we put these humans' hands to work hu? Daheth's mind grinned in a sharp-toothed fashion as he too climbed out of the pool and headed over to Arria. Just start at the top and work back, it all needs doing! he said, including Malith in his words to his rider as well as he settled himself down, his eyes gleaming a pleased light blue.

Arria clicked her tongue slightly and shook her head at her demanding dragon, but he really did itch and he deserved the best in any case. "It's certainly felt rather like a test so far," she said to Octavia as she started to scrub carefully around Daheth's eye-ridges. "It was a lot to get used to, I only became a candidate at the time of the Touching and before that," she chuckled briefly, "well, my life was rather different to put it mildly." Adjusting to shared sleeping quarters, a lack of privacy, the comforts she had been used to, and the rigours of chores had been difficult, though she liked to think she had carried it off fairly gracefully.

"Were you a candidate for long before the clutch dear? I don't think I've ever asked." There was still a lot she didn't know about quite a few of her clutchmates but now that Daheth was becoming slightly more independent she intended to remedy that.
^
Octavia
 Posted: May 14 2018, 03:16 PM

Octavia

Weyrling
Dragonrider
-- --

Malith
#33D7FF

Profile | Plotpage

Octavia was focusing on getting all the areas under Maliths chin as he made contented dragon noises.

"Me?" She asked, far more curious about Arria's past that she had just become a candidate before the impression. "I was raised as a weyrbrat at High Reaches weyr after my parents were caught in a Thread fall. When I became a candidate at 16 I think they realized that I was never going to make a traditional impression so they, "gently" handed me over to Sirocco when I turned 18." She shrugged and smiled at Malith as he rolled his head for easy access to an itchy spot. "I would say that the move was worth it! "

"How about you?" She said to Arria, what did was your life like before you were searched?"
^
Arria
 Posted: May 14 2018, 03:54 PM

Arria

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Daheth
#108FAB

Profile | Plotpage

Arria smirked a little and gave a slight nod of acknowledgement as Malith shifted under Octavia's hands. "And High Reaches was one of Sirocco's first allies, I can understand why they would have sent you here. I'm sorry about your parents, were you close to them?" Many Weyrbrats were not. And, on an unrelated note, had Octavia been a green candidate or gold? Sirocco didn't hold such notions - it was quite clear that its golds chose whoever they pleased - but the Northern Weyrs clung to them still despite how often gold dragons chose green candidates, and vice versa. If the tradition died out of course bronze riders would no longer have an excuse to 'Search' beautiful young women from Holds when their dragons so very rarely even had the ability. How many things on Pern were set up to serve the pleasure of men?

"My life was very different my dear," Arria said in rather amused tones as she got back to her scrubbing. "I grew up in Bitra Hold; my mother runs one of its finest gambling establishments, favoured by the Lord Holder himself, as indeed was she on and off." A bastard daughter could never be very close to her father but Arria knew how much she had been indulged in gifts and invitations to the best gathers, it had been a wonderful life and she could have married well or not at all and lived richly but where was the thrill in that? "My half sister and I came here as our father hoped to install her as the new Lady of Sirocco Hold, though her tender turns may bring all of that to naught," Arria continued with a very slight lift of her shoulders. "We were visiting here when we were both offered the opportunity to Stand; she declined, I accepted, and now here we are." She and Octavia had grown up in very different circumstances - though Octavia as a Weyrbrat and she as a bastard with money had no doubt enjoyed more freedom than most hold girls did, which was common ground she might explore later - and yet here they both were scrubbing blue dragons with sore hands, it pleased and amused Arria no end.
^
Octavia
 Posted: May 15 2018, 07:48 AM

Octavia

Weyrling
Dragonrider
-- --

Malith
#33D7FF

Profile | Plotpage

"A fine choice if I may say so! But then I cannot imagine a better life but that of a dragon rider." Octavia laughed at herself, aware in many ways she had lived a more sheltered life than others. But some part of her imagination was caught up by the idea of the foreignness of the life Arria must have lived before being bonded to Daheth.

"As for my parents... I can't even really remember them, I was too young to be close or not close.... Sometimes I wonder if that is a blessing or not." She shrugged, not comfortable with showing the more softer uncertain side of herself. "Then I was brought to High Reaches and was allowed to see my first dragon up close and was told that maybe one day I could stand for one. What more could a girl want?"

^
Arria
 Posted: May 16 2018, 05:26 PM

Arria

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Daheth
#108FAB

Profile | Plotpage

Ahhh, after her parents had been killed in Threadfall - she'd lived in a Hold until then. How old must Octavia have been when the Thread returned? Perhaps twelve? Young enough for memories of her parents to have become blurred. It clearly wasn't a topic she wished to linger over however and so Arria smiled slightly, nodded, and picked up one of the other threads of their conversation.

"I think almost every child dreams of dragonriding at least once in their life, to find their perfect soul match and take to the sky." Arria smoothed her gloved hand over Daheth's lovely hide and her little smile warmed as he pressed his clever mind closer against hers for a few moments. "Of course it's a more difficult matter during a Pass," Arria continued smoothly with a brief wry chuckle. "Dragonriders must fly, however, and I have rather built my life around taking risks." She had gambled with her life by accepting that Search, and in finding Daheth she knew she had won.
^
Octavia
 Posted: May 17 2018, 05:26 AM

Octavia

Weyrling
Dragonrider
-- --

Malith
#33D7FF

Profile | Plotpage

Octavia smiled at the warmth between Arria and Daheth. She looked down at her own blue, love and affection for the oddball blooming in her own heart, Malith rumbled slightly and she could feel a returning love from him.

"I don't know about you but flying thread seems like a fair price to pay to have a dragon of your very own!" Moving down onto Malith shoulder she paused in her scrubbing to sweep an escaped strand of red hair from her face.

"How did your family take you deciding to stay and stand for an impression...?" She asked, aware that not all parents wished their children to enter into the dangerous life of a dragon rider.
^
Arria
 Posted: May 18 2018, 01:21 PM

Arria

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Daheth
#108FAB

Profile | Plotpage

"That it does," Arria agreed with a breath out as she leaned into scrubbing an especially itchy spot on Daheth's shoulder. "There is nothing in the world quite like it, no price is too high to experience that." It was better to live well and briefly than to manage to exist in a mundane way for five score turns.

"They were surprised," Arria continued to Octavia with a little smirk and a click of her tongue. "Surprised, but they soon realised it was perfectly in character. My family seldom say exactly what they mean but I believe they are pleased. My father has a child serving as a dragonrider and I think he likes the unusual nature of my Impression, such things are spreading to the north so perhaps he sees this as placing him ahead of the curve of opinion?" Or perhaps he was displeased but indulging her, she doubted there was anyone on Pern who could truly read Bitra's Lord Holder. "And my mother is quite glad; glad for my happiness and that once Daheth is grown she will be able to call on us to ferry her and her special clients around when my duties allow." Arria shook her head then with a little tut and a small small. "Trust my mother to have her eye on profit at all times. My elder half sister - on my mother's side - will inherit her establishment in any case, far better that I make my own way than live in her shadow."
^
Octavia
 Posted: Yesterday at 04:10 pm

Octavia

Weyrling
Dragonrider
-- --

Malith
#33D7FF

Profile | Plotpage

Octavia smiled at Arria as she stepped back to survey how much she had yet to scrub. "You are getting too large Malith, you need to stop growing at once or else it is going to take a team of people to scrub you!"

Malith opened an eye, "But I cannot! If I did I might shrink!" He rumbled, amused, taking the teasing with affection and humour.

Octavia chuckled and bent to scoop up another handful of soapsand.

"Well either way that you look at it, they do care! Either enough to support you or to lie to you about it!" She said to Arria as she went back to scrubbing Malith.

"It sounds like you have a great family." She added.
^
Arria
 Posted: Today at 03:49 pm

Arria

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Daheth
#108FAB

Profile | Plotpage

Arria smirked a bit and shook her head as Octavia playfully admonished her blue. "It's hard to imagine how large they'll be in the end. I'm glad Daheth isn't a bronze, I'll tell you that without reservation!"

I might get more attention if I was, the blue said to his rider, sourly and privately. They all say it makes no difference here but you'd have to be blind to believe it! They're rare, the stand out, and a lot of people still believe they're naturally shelled to lead.

But we know better darling, Arria replied lightly, smoothing a hand up Daheth's neck and under his chin so that he turned to face her. We will be greater than any bronze has ever been, we will not be overlooked. This seemed to placate Daheth at least for now and so Arria turned her attention back to Octavia.

"I do," she agreed with a little smile and a slight nod. "An unconventional one perhaps, but convention is highly overrated... And you know I have heard it said that weyrlings - clutchmates - grow to become a little family too. Do you feel that's so?"
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Dear guests and new members: Cbox is to the right!
We also have Discord Chat - To join, please click here.

'Sirocco' based on Alpha 2.0 by gunblaza. Coded by Capricorn for Sirocco Weyr
Forum Topsites, Rankings & Listings. Please Click to Vote Here!
TopRPSites RPGfix Pernese Online Shadowplay Topsites RP Lovers A Gift of Dragons
Online Communities
Pernese Online Caution to the Wind roleplay ads RPG-D RPGfix RPG Initiative
Affiliates
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave