Erenveret

Goldhandler
Master of the Mattress Arts
Master Miner

Erenvesk
#DDD799

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Badgerigar

As the first light of predawn begins to spill over the tall, earthy rock of Sirocco Weyr's mesa, deep within the guts of the rock, the night mining team is getting close to ending its shift. Erenveret, the Weyr's master miner, makes his way through one of the deeper tunnels. It's newer, hewn from the rock only recently. And yet, the expected veins of both gold and slightly spongy, volcanic firestone are thin and weak. Other, similar tunnels have been delved, with the same result. Then are a few more places they can check, but this tunnel was their best hope for continuing the mines and now...

Eren catches sight of a familiar figure towards the bottom of the tunnel, and as he approaches he reaches out to clap Aramon on the shoulder. The man's blue wherlet is a full eight months old now, and as Erenvesk trundles along behind him, she stretches out her neck to briefly touch noses with her progeny, sending sensations of approval and satisfaction that mirror her handler's own.

"So, what do you make of it?" Eren asks, gesturing to the thin, weak veins in the rock around them. To his master's eye, they have only a few months left until they're mining nothing but sandstone.
^
Aramon
 Posted: Mar 3 2018, 01:15 PM

Aramon

Wherling
The Quiet Man
Journeyman Miner

Ramosk
#0e48ad

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: otterly

Aramon had been gazing worriedly at the weak veins of gold and firestone, Ramosk at his said. The wherlet was eight months old now, and had taken well to mining--or, what little mining there was left at the Weyr, he thought grimly.

When Master Erenveret arrived, Aramon didn't startle. He did turn to offer him a smile that was much more a grimace. "Nothing good, I'll admit," Aramon replied, his gaze darting back to the tunnels. He heaved a sigh.

Erenveret was the Master here, but Aramon knew these mines nearly as well. "I don't believe these veins will last for much longer," he said finally, unknowingly echoing Erenveret's thoughts. "There's hardly anything left. Before long, there won't be anything worth getting to, I think." Perhaps deeper down, the veins of gold and firestone would reappear, but--

Too deep, and there'd be no point in taking the risk of going down to get it. Aramon was doubtful that there'd be enough of anything left to bother with, anyway. He sighed again. He hesitated before continuing, "It may be time to move on."

Beside him, Ramosk had been distracted by Erenvesk's arrival. He reached up to touch his nose to hers with a soft, pleasant snort, pleased by her approval of him.
^
Erenveret
 Posted: Mar 3 2018, 08:05 PM

Erenveret

Goldhandler
Master Miner

Erenvesk
#DDD799

Profile | Plotpage

Eren nods silently along with Aramon's assessment as the man speaks. It's gratifying, but also disappointing to hear that his own opinion of the situation is shared by another. Though Aramon is not a master, Erenveret trusts his opinion. With a heavy sigh and a nod, the master miner replies, "Yes, I think you're right. Much as it disappoints me to admit it, it would be for the best if we began to seek out a new site. The mesa might still hold some treasures, but we've done just about all the blasting I'm willing to risk, and branching off a mess of aimless tunnels in the hope of hitting something worthwhile seems foolish."

The gold wherhandler frowns and rubs at the back of his neck. "I s'pose the next step is to talk to the Weyrleaders, hm? This isn't going to be news they'll be pleased to hear." He shakes his head, then gestures for Aramon to follow him back up the tunnel towards the exit. He glances at Ramosk and smiles. "He seems to be taking to mining well enough."
^
Aramon
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 10:09 AM

Aramon

Wherling
The Quiet Man
Journeyman Miner

Ramosk
#0e48ad

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: otterly

Aramon grimaced, but he knew that Erenveret was right. "I would be concerned with risking the integrity of parts of the mesa if we continued to dig tunnels," he mused. "Especially aimless digging." His expression was grim as he regarded what was left of the chains they'd spent so much of their time here with.

"Talking wth the Weyrleaders would be best," he sighed. He couldn't begin to predict how either of them would react, though Aramon knew that it was a boon to the Weyr to have gold so close at hand. But there was nothing that could be done about this--if there was nothing left, theyvould not force the earth to produce more. "And we'll have to get on with finding somewhere to move to. This is a big continent." At least there were sure to be plenty of places to choose from.

The conversation drifted back to the whers, and Aramon's face went fond. "He certainly enjoys the tunnels. And the digging. He's taken to it like a fish to water, I'd say." Ramosk was snuffling about near his mother, nosing at stones and snorting vaguely at her. "Still plenty for him to learn," Aramon laughed. "But he's been growing much more focused."
^
Erenveret
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 02:48 PM

Erenveret

Goldhandler
Master Miner

Erenvesk
#DDD799

Profile | Plotpage

Erenvesk snorts back at Ramosk, the sounds seeming vaguely encouraging. The gold, it seems, is pleased enough by the young blue's progress. She seems not at all concerned by the mens' conversation. Wherever they go, she knows that she will be able to do what she has been trained for.

"Hm. The last thing we want to do is bring the weyr and half of its residents down on top of us," Eren replies wryly. Then, pensively, he adds, "Can't say I'll be all that broken up about leaving, though." He rubs absently at his bad leg--the one that occasionally develops a limp when he's tired or stressed out--as he speaks. "And this is a large continent. I'm sure that there are many more riches here for us to find and unearth. Perhaps not gold. But something of value," he assures Aramon.

They're reaching the end of the tunnel that merges the wher quarters with the mines. Erenveret wonders what the space will be used for once they've moved on. It's an oddly mournful thought.

[[Dag, if you'd like to bring Moryn in now?]]
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Dear guests and new members: Cbox is to the right!
We also have Discord Chat - To join, please click here.

'Sirocco' based on Alpha 2.0 by gunblaza. Coded by Capricorn for Sirocco Weyr
Forum Topsites, Rankings & Listings. Please Click to Vote Here!
Pernese Online Shadowplay Topsites RP Lovers A Gift of Dragons
Online Communities
RPG-D Ruby Wings ListingsNerd ListingsRPG Initiative
Affiliates
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave