Posted: Feb 4 2018, 04:47 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Moony

She wasn't entirely sure when Isaroth had gotten to be so... well, massive. Once upon a time he had barely come up to her waist. Now he was taller than her and days like today she really wasn't looking forward to bathing him or oiling him. After all, he was still growing so rapidly that she couldn't climb on him to get some spots. She wouldn't risk hurting him and delaying his growth.

You are far too small to hurt me. He leaned down, huffing hot air in her face as he gently brushed against A'lek in affection.

"And you're too small to even hunt for yourself, so the answer is still no." A'lek's voice was firm - surprisingly confident for the young woman. Isaroth was slowly easing her out of herself. Instead of seeming to curl into herself as she stood, there was a slight, subtle sort of confidence in her posture. "I thought you wanted to strengthen your wings."

Perhaps. His deep voice filled her mind with amusement, as he looked back towards the barracks, to another pair walking out. Hello Havith. R'hael. Would you like to join us while we still have sun? It was a rare moment of clear skies during the rainy season, and the brown had decided to take full advantage, rather than allowing his bonded to sit and work on reading or writing.

Turning, a small smile danced across her face at the sight of the greenrider. "Hello R'hael. Havith. Isaroth decided it was time to practice some exercises. You're welcome to join if you wish."

Inviting him to join us? There was something teasing about the smoky voice that filled her mind, a slight sarcastic tint. Jassara will enjoy this almost as much as she enjoyed you two holding hands.

A'lek frowned up at her brown. "Shush."
^
R'hael
 Posted: Feb 10 2018, 04:01 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Tawny

They were rather good at visualising by now and one advantage of it was that R'hael could walk along reading with half a mind's eye looking through Havith's to make sure he didn't trip. The notes about Alpha Wing's manoeuvres and formations were extensive, the comparisons and pros and cons as compared to traditional wings meticulous.

It's a shame the other Weyrs won't try it, Havith mused as she drank in the information her rider was absorbing. They can see that it works, yet they refuse to acknowledge it.

"Mmh." R'hael shrugged and nodded. Traditional formations have worked well since records begin, I suppose they see no need - and have no inclination to give greens or blues positions of command.

It's a shame that talent goes to waste like that; if I hadn't been shelled here we would have had to move, I can't imagine- The green stopped mid thought and crooned as Isaroth's voice reached her. Hello Isaroth, A'lek, we would indeed, she said as she turned to the brown and his rider and extended a feeling of greeting.

"Ah, hello!" R'hael looked up from the papers and tucked them under his arm as they met with A'lek and Isaroth. "It's a good opportunity for it; not raining," he said, looking up at the currently cloud-free sky with his eyes slightly squinted. "It's nice to see colour other than red around the mesa, but having to dodge the downpours hasn't been my favourite," he said with some amusement as he looked down at A'lek once more.
^
A'lek
 Posted: Feb 11 2018, 05:07 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

A'lek smiled at R'hael. "I know what you mean. I've taken most all of my studying inside for the remainder of the rainy season. It wouldn't be the first rain-damp book I've had to transcribe, but I'd rather not." Years of working with the archivists had given A'lek two distinct styles of writing - one was the firm, blocky style that was best suited for transcribing public hides. The other was her own personal style, flowing and elegant.

She looked up at R'hael with a smile. "We've got some food up here, and I brought a blanket to sit on. If you'd like, we can study whatever it is you have while those two practice. And if it starts to rain, Isaroth's wingspan is finally big enough to protect the hides."

It will be some time before the rains roll back in. We will not need to protect the hides from anything but wind. He rumbled, going over to Havith and nuzzling her gently. A'lek is not fond of the rains. Is R'hael the same?

A'lek smiled a little at her brown with Havith. "I don't like the rain because it makes my hair go wild." Er. Wilder than normal. She had even had Jassara put it in tight braids in an attempt to keep it from getting too bad.
^
R'hael
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 06:04 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

"I've never had to transcribe anything, it sounds rather tedious," R'hael admitted with a slight shake of his head and a lingering little smile. "I can see there being some satisfaction to a page well copied but I think writing your own words is more interesting, even if they happen to be a list of requisitions for the Steward or something like that." He had found his work at Igen satisfying in a lot of ways but knowing that there would likely never be more had been hard, he would always be grateful to the Searchrider who'd plucked him out of that situation.

Havith crooned and nuzzled back before casting her eyes up to the sky. He likes the rain because it reminds him of where he grew up, but he dislikes it when he wants to be out and doing but it's pouring down. On the whole though he likes it.

"My hair gets thicker with the rain too, though I don't think it does it as impressively as yours," R'hael said, his husky voice tinged with amusement. "And yes, I'd like that - I've been reading reports on Alpha Wing's style, I hope Havith and I will fly there one day so I need to start studying sooner rather than later." In Alpha he could become a wingleader once he was old enough, he knew Havith would be good at it and he believe that he could be too.
^
A'lek
 Posted: Feb 23 2018, 08:58 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

"You know, it's not actually that bad... Think of it as a way of reading parts of Pern's history. It also helps me remember a lot of various things. Though I could do without remembering an ancient Lord of Telgar's bowel functions. Some healers get a little too thorough with their record keeping." A'lek made a bit of a face, though she was clearly more amused than disgusted. While she still had difficulty with what people probably considered silly things - like butchering meals for the weyrling dragons - she generally wasn't too easily disgusted.

There was a rumble of amusement from Isaroth. A'lek insists that her head looks like an angry feline if she does not have it braided when the weather takes this kind of turn. I do not know that it's any less unruly then than it is normally. I like the rain. I think it would be good to fly in a storm like what we have gotten lately. Strong winds with fierce lightning.

Sparing a glance for her brown - he was crazy - she looked back at R'hael and shook her head. "I bet Tess could probably start arranging meetings with their wingleadership now, and see if you could get in. I think Isaroth and I will probably aim for Beta Wing. He's a bit large for Alpha." She glanced at the brown, rolling her eyes. "You most certainly are too large. But I think eventually I also want to see if I can get a role teaching Candidates."

^
R'hael
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 07:38 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

Of anything he might've expected A'lek to say, it hadn't been that. R'hael stared for a moment and then gave a brief laugh of rather delighted sounding surprise. "No, truly?" he asked, grinning and shaking his head. "If the healers thought it worth noting was it something the Lord didn't want to remember either or did they keep a ledger for every, uh, movement as a matter of course?" A woman would never had said something like that in the circles he'd grown up in, and hearing A'lek say it now made him glad that he didn't live in those circles anymore - it even took a bit of the sting out of the fact that he knew that his presence would be awkward even if he did want to make an appearance. It was an honourable thing to Impress, but for a man to Impress a green? It wasn't what a Holding family wanted from their bloodline.

And then something else A'lek said made R'hael smile broadly, and he gave a decisive nod along with it too. "You're right about that! Tess has agreed to set me up to actually shadow one of the alpha wingleaders, if I can prove a bit of diligence. I was going to study anyway but," R'hael gestured a bit with the papers, "an extra incentive is no bad thing." Isaroth was certainly too big for Alpha - by the look of him he'd be too big by about fifteen feet once fully grown - and R'hael nodded to that point and to A'lek's ambitions. "That sounds like something you'd do well at, studious as you are. Can I ask why candidates and not weyrlings? Just out of curiosity." Both positions were vital to running the Weyr of course, one no less respected than the other, but A'lek seemed clear that it was candidates she wanted to teach - why?

That would be a great test, Havith agreed, a keen gleam entering her faceted eyes. I think it could be a good confidence building exercise for our less confident clutchmates too, if we built up to it right. Facing the powers of the elements? That's quite something don't you think?
^
A'lek
 Posted: Feb 24 2018, 08:50 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

There was a smirk that lit up A'lek's face. It wasn't a common look for the usually serious and shy girl. But it suited her, oddly. A gift from her long turns of friendship with Jassara. "If you think that's good, you should see some of the old records on living Lord Holders." Copying healer records were important as they aged. Not all Healers had the solid, practiced and legible handwriting that archivists had. "I think they just had to keep note of it because of some health issue or another. Though Faranth knows, maybe they just had a thing for it."

A'lek smiled at his keen interest to shadow. "I'm sure that will come as no problem to you." She admitted. And then paused, considering his question. Why was it candidates and not weyrlings she wanted to work with? "I think it's important, for Holdborn candidates to have someone they can relate to on staff. Coming into the weyr can be such a shock to the system, things are done so differently than in the Holds or even Halls, that it seems like it would be best to have someone there who understands the transition, at least a little." Isaroth had found her before she had fully gathered her bearings, and there was still plenty about Weyrlife that she had yet to explore.

Isaroth was looking at Havith, pleased and impressed with her. That, He admitted Is an excellent idea. R'hael, A'lek. Havith and I have come up with an idea we must communicate to Tess and Clarith as soon as possible. A'lek has looked over what schedule she has access to, and did not see any such course.
^
R'hael
 Posted: Feb 25 2018, 09:09 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

"Oh no; no," R'hael laughed and waved A'lek away with slow open gestures of his hands, "I don't want to know, even a little. Keep your Harper secrets about bowels, for the love of tiny dragons of every hue!" Some things you just did not want to know.

Happily there was something better to focus on, and R'hael nodded thoughtfully as A'lek explained her reasons. "That makes sense, yes. It was hard for me to change from Hold to Weyr, a lot of people must feel the same and especially coming to a Weyr like Sirocco." And there was no other Weyr like Sirocco, it was just... It was itself, and he felt lucky that he and Havith were here.....

Oh? And the dragons were up to something?

R'hael hasn't seen it either but I assume until proven otherwise that it's there mixed into other lessons, Havith continued confidently, sharing the context of the conversation with a flick of her mind. I think it will come with formation flying classes and the like, after all we must learn how to cope with the winds in order to join the wings - but! the gleaming green chirped happily, I think that if it isn't phrased as a marker and a challenge and of itself, it would be good if Tess changed it to be so. Some of ours need all the help they canget with their confidence, so conquering a challenge like flying well through winds could help them a lot.
^
A'lek
 Posted: Feb 25 2018, 09:42 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

A'lek laughed in near delight at his rapid request to not hear more. "It wasn't all bowels." She assured him, grinning. "Actually, as boring as it could be sometimes, there's something soothing about it. And satisfying if you manage to figure out what some of the oldest hides said." There were some that were old enough that they would take turns to figure out what they said and transcribe them. If they ever could. The challenge had always made her happy.

"Well, there are a lot of aspects that they may not be familiar with. Honestly, I Impressed Isaroth so soon after coming here, that I actually don't know much about Weyrlife myself." She admitted, suddenly flushing. "I mean, I'm learning to be a rider, but there's much that isn't...really taught." Things you had to learn, to adjust to, yourself. Like their easiness about sex. Not to mention the shift in culture.

It will also help to teach some of our siblings restraint, rather than boldness. After all, they had plenty of their clutchmates who were bold and reckless. The Wings would want that tempered, before they joined them.

A'lek glanced at R'hael with a smile. "I suppose we'd best take their ideas to Tess sometime, then."
^
R'hael
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 01:15 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

"Ahh, now studying ancient scrolls I can certainly see myself enjoying," R'hael said, his brows lifting a little and his eyes brightening at the thought. "All that old knowledge, such secrets that could be hidden... Hopefully not secrets of bowels, unless it's a new remedy that might ease the woes of people today be they Lord or drudge." He hoped A'lek didn't think he was pushing the crude joke too far, he didn't think she would but he didn't quite know her well enough yet to be sure.

Indeed! Havith agreed, her thoughts radiating their colours more brightly than usual with amusement, like coloured glass caught by the light. And for those of us who have a good balance already, it will be good practice regardless.

"We should, yes," R'hael agreed with a small smile and a nod as he caught up on the dragons' conversation. "If it isn't on the lessons plan she might add it, but if it is there's no harm done and it shows initiative." He was always keen to impress his superiors if he could, he didn't have his blood helping him along anymore so if he wanted to get anywhere he'd have to work twice as hard to be noticed.
^
A'lek
 Posted: Mar 8 2018, 09:45 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

A'lek snorted in laughter. "Not all of it. But it's amazing, the sorts of things the older hides can teach us. Even if all they go over is dietary things, or health issues..." She looked thoughtful. Shrugging lightly, she gave R'hael a soft smile. "Honestly it's not always that interesting, but a lot of the oldest hides are lost, or so faded we can't possibly translate them without very careful study for turns."

There was a rumble from Isaroth, pleasure and thoughtfulness swirling in his eyes. An intense wind can change that. Or a storm. It is easy to be a steady,
balanced flier in fair skies.
He took pleasure in the challenge, looked forward to flying in storms, with A'lek on his back. We shall do well, I think.

Digging through her papers, A'lek found her notes on the lesson plan. "Ah. We do have plans for that." She pointed it out and held it out to R'hael. It was neat and even, lovely script that looked like it would probably take anyone else quite some time to write. "Next time we have a rainy or windy day, the dragons practice their flying. Perhaps they can volunteer to go first next time." After all, both brown and green seemed eager enough to step forward in the eyes of their classmates.
^
R'hael
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 03:39 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

A'lek looked quite pretty when she looked thoughtful... Well, no, she was always pretty but she looked more 'A'lek' then usual when she was thoughtful. Aware that this was quite a silly thought R'hael opted to keep it to himself. "It's sad how much we've lost, but it makes what we regain all the more precious even if it's mundane," he said aloud with a small smile and a slight shrug as he leaned forward to study the lesson plan.

"Ahh, yes I see," he nodded, "well in that case I definitely think we should go first. Isaroth and Havith are at opposite ends of the size spectrum too so it would be a good demonstration of how the wind would affect them differently." The smaller dragons would have a tougher time of it, but on the other hand their ability to correct their course was far superior to their larger kin.

I like the metaphor, and the literal meaning too, Havith chuckled as she picked herself up and padded over to snuggle into Isaroth's side companionably. It sounds like our plans are in motion, but we'll have to be sure that our riders actually speak to Tess or R'sol so that it's planned out in advance. Perhaps we'll even get some extra instruction out of it! Havith was always keen to learn from those who knew more than she.
^
A'lek
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 08:28 PM

A'lek

Weyrling
N/A
Apprentice Harper

Isaroth

Profile | Plotpage

"Exactly. Isaroth is easily one of the biggest in our class. It would be good for them to show the variation we have." After all, Isaroth (no matter how he seemed to think sometimes) couldn't fly the same as Havith. It was strange to think that she had one of the largest in the class - so far Margoth was actually a little bit smaller than Isaroth. She had no doubt Arumth would be bigger, but the gold was less likely to fly in the higher wings, where they were far more likely to run into the harsh winds.

She offered him a slight smile. "So, show me what it was you were studying? We can go over it." Pushing a bit of curly hair out of her face, she offered R'hael a smile. They had gotten off track quite a bit, but she knew he had been studying something on first walking out.

Isaroth seemed to hum, the sound a deep rumble in his chest, please as Havith snuggled against him. I am certain they shall speak to them for us. A'lek already plans on it. Isaroth assured her gently. She promises that if your R'hael is not with her at the time, she shall ensure she brings you two up as well, to ensure we both are able to be among the first to go. He nuzzled her gently, affectionate.
^
R'hael
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 04:00 PM

R'hael

Weyrling
N/A
-- --

Havith

Profile | Plotpage

R'hael nodded agreement, though he was looking back at his papers rather than at A'elk now as he he leafed through to find his place. "He is; it's funny really, how our Impressions fell... Though perhaps more unexpected than funny, I think our clutch has more unusual Impressions than any before it." R'hael paused then and looked back up at A'lek thoughtfully. "I wonder if in time the gender balance will be about equal between colours? It seems to be moving that way, at least here in the south. It will definitely be interesting to track Impression trends over time, here and in other Weyrs. In any case though," he waved the thought off for future analysis, "here's what I was looking at before we came over." The neatly drawn table was a record of injuries across each of Sirocco's wings during the turn five-thirteen as compared to averages from each other Weyr. "Alpha wing had more casualties than average," he said as he indicated the figure, "but overall Sirocco trended about average. It's not surprising that Alpha has taken more injuries than most," because whichever wing was flying highest would and the Alphas did every times, but it didn't even occur to him to point the obvious out to A'lek, "but it's good to see that other Weyrs really have no cause to disparage our system."
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Dear guests and new members: Cbox is to the right!
We also have Discord Chat - To join, please click here.

'Sirocco' based on Alpha 2.0 by gunblaza. Coded by Capricorn for Sirocco Weyr
Forum Topsites, Rankings & Listings. Please Click to Vote Here!
TopRPSites RPGfix Pernese Online Shadowplay Topsites RP Lovers A Gift of Dragons
Online Communities
Pernese Online Caution to the Wind roleplay ads RPG-D RPGfix RPG Initiative
Affiliates
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave