Zahhy

Root Admin
Quizard
-- --

Adminth
#d22608

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: A Ladybug

In H'win's barracks' chest at the foot of his bed is a medium-sized hard wooden box, stained a dark natural color and sealed shiny smooth. There are a few minor bumps and scrapes on the box where the leather and metal straps have rubbed against the seal in travels. Inside, the chest is lined with a pale brown wherhide, pulled tight and sealed, buffed smooth and soft.

Within the hard-box is a letter set, a fine one with fresh new skins and even a few precious papers. The quill, found it it's own long small box is a beautiful dark wherry feather that glistens green in the glow-light and even comes with replacement tips in the hidden spot beneath the quill placement. There is also a proper Telgar ordained metal stamp for wax sealing and a ball of ribbons and thread that was once perhaps a neat tie, but is now a mess.

The ribbons and wax are blue and red and white in Telgar colors, but also secretly to indicate the urgency of the correspondence. The ink is a deep blue-black and stoppered very tightly and even held in a small wherhide bag to keep the rest of the contents safe from even the tiniest of spills.

Contents & Correspondence

Personal Notes
Personal Notes

Letters Home
- 09.10 - Searched for Candidacy

http://sirocco.jcink.net/index.php?showtop...indpost&p=10021]512[/URL]
- 01.28 - Impressed Beramoth
- 03.16 - Weyrlinghood

http://sirocco.jcink.net/index.php?showtop...indpost&p=12529]513[/URL]
- 07.04 - Graduated to Beta Wing
- 09.05 - A New Weyrwoman & Goldrider

Private Threads
WebsiteGTalkAIMYIMMSN
^
H'win
 Posted: Nov 24 2016, 10:19 AM

H'win

Bluerider
The White Knight
-- --

Beramoth
#8ac0ef

Profile | Plotpage

Played by: Zahhy

Personal Notes

Scattered about his pockets, his bedpost, his chest and possibly around the weyr are notes that Hadwin has jotted down for himself. It is a bad habit he learned from his father, and one that has only grown now that his best friend doesn't read. Many of the notes are attempts at drawings, as if Hadwin was practicing trying to tell Ilharen where he is.

Drawn is two figures with long pointed objects. It is crude and crumpled and is soaking waiting to be scraped.

Folded neatly in the top of his hardbox is a well-worn tan bit of paper. It has nothing but a short list on it and a scribble of imagined jungle trees drawn in the bottom right corner.

Places I promised to take Ilharen once we -get- / gotdragons:
The Sea - to hunt for fish as big as dragons
Telgar Hold - to see the largest hold
The Mountains - for reasons
^
H'win
 Posted: Nov 24 2016, 10:30 AM

H'win

Bluerider
The White Knight
-- --

Beramoth
#8ac0ef

Profile | Plotpage

Letters Home

On a new and finely shaved skin is a Telgar Seal in red (Urgent, but not immediate like a white one would have been) sent from Sirocco. Hadwin painstakingly wrote the letter in sand many times before copying it down in his cleanest script to the official correspondence documents his brother had sent with him.

{Addressed To} Lord & Lady of Telgar Hold

Dear Father and Mother,

I am writing you to inform you that my original plans of supporting relations in the south have altered. I was Searched by Caleen of Blue Minith of Sirocco Weyr on 511.04.21. I apologize for not writing you before now, for I was unsure of what to say. Firstly, I will let you know that I agreed emphatically to the choice of becoming a Dragon Candidate. I feel it is a great honor, and one that I have secretly dreamed would come to pass even before my trip to the south.

Secondly, it would be unfair of me to say that I wanted anything else when choosing to join Uncle Liard on the trip. Although it wasn't by design that such a thing would happen so quickly, I can think of no other way for me to bring honor to our home than by helping a small weyr grow and protect it's people. I am glad and very happy to be chosen as a possible dragonrider at Sirocco and it is my hope that you will be too.

Candidate Master A'zir has been a wonderful teacher, and he assures me that you may write him with concerns about my Candidacy. Thanks to Master A'zir's guidance, during my time here I have learned a great deal about dragons, Weyr life and relations. Tell Callope I've learned to sew! Not well, mind you, but I've sewn my own candidate robe and hope to dye it with Telgar colors for the hatching.

I understand that this may come as a shock to you, but please know that I have given this a great deal of thought. I am aware that upon Impression I will be forfeiting my rights as a Lord to lands and holds, and be giving up my ability to govern what is rightfully ours. Becoming a dragonrider is a respectable profession. It is hard work, harder than even the chores you used to give me, mother. I feel lucky to have been chosen and everyone here treats me with a great deal of respect, and I am glad to say that for once in my life, I feel it is earned.

{Signed} Candidate Hadwin of Sirocco Weyr
^
H'win
 Posted: Feb 20 2017, 11:00 AM

H'win

Bluerider
The White Knight
-- --

Beramoth
#8ac0ef

Profile | Plotpage

Wrapped tightly and as delicately as possible with a pretty blue and red ribbon with a Telgar Seal in red to indicate some urgency but not immediate danger sent from Sirocco. This letter, although not as painstakingly written as his last, this one is written in H'win's fine hand and is very neat although now that it has been passed around through all of his siblings there's one or two smudgy spots from fingers and tears with the delicate ink bleeding around the edges.

{Addressed To} Lord & Lady of Telgar Hold

Dear Father and Mother,

My hopes have come true. I, once Hadwin of Telgar am now H'win of Beramoth, beholden to Sirocco for I have impressed at Sirocco Weyr. My dragon is the most beautiful blue dragon that ever cracked shell. He is a dignified beast even as a babe, and I look forward to introducing you to him formally once he is grown.

Mother, you'll be pleased to know that my dear friend Ilharen also impressed, but to a brown called Masalath. I will not be alone in weyrlinghood, which today feels much more important than ever. As you know, the sabotage attempts made on Sirocco collapsed the mines and resulted in the branding and the banishment of the perpetrator. He has returned and also impressed a green from this clutch - L'mok of Lamkath. Do not fear, he is a small, skinny man devoid of  anything other than poor manners and self-pity. I do not envy him, but as our dragons were laid they cannot be separated while young.

{Signed}H'win Bluerider of Beramoth, Sirocco Weyr

A less formal letter than he has sent in the past, H'win still sends letters to his mother using his Telgar Seal, but this time in a blue to indicate there is no urgency to his messages. The skin is also devoid of any embellishments and bears only the fine letters of his hand.

{Addressed To} The Lady of Telgar Hold

Dear Mother,

I hope this letter comes to you well. I apologize that it has taken this long for me to reply to you. I've been very busy with keeping Beramoth fed, bathed and oiled. I'll spare you the details of my chores but caring for a young dragon keeps me run more ragged than even Callope's list of chores. Callope, while I'm mentioning her, seems to be doing very well here. She is helping me with my clothing situation, for these southerners are used to some very drab styles and I can't imagine how you would take it, although I'm certain Callope has told you all about it in her letters to you.

In your last letter, you asked me what I will do now that I've impressed? Ilharen and I have come up with a few plans that I intend to propose to the Weyrleaders personally upon graduation. Right now however I cannot explain to you what we have planned for it is still little more than ideas. While our dragons grow we will only have time for speculation and nothing more. Beramoth eats more times a day than a wee bairn and tending to him is even harder work than the candidacy. It is a labor of love however, for he rewards me with the most handsome of looks and the dearest of thoughts. He truly is a marvel, Mother. I could not have asked for a more wonderful dragon.

With love,
{Signed}H'win Bluerider of Beramoth, Sirocco Weyr
^
H'win
 Posted: Feb 20 2017, 11:25 AM

H'win

Bluerider
The White Knight
-- --

Beramoth
#8ac0ef

Profile | Plotpage

The following letters are standard parchment, wrapped in a pale blue ribbon, and stamped with the Sirocco seal. They are less carefully written, and the wax is not so carefully dripped onto the papers as the ones sent in 512.

Mother,
I have graduated Weyrlinghood and am now a fully fledged rider! Beramoth and I have shown our skill and been accepted into Beta Wing, the second highest flying wing. Beramoth is too large and slow for the more dangerous wing, but we can last an entire fall if we are careful. I promise to be careful. Threadfighting is frightening, but soon there will be more lands for Sirocco to protect and that means more people will be able to live here in the South.

I know you believe the South is dangerous, and in many ways it is, but I cannot express to you how joyful people are to be here. Once Sirocco was a safe-haven for those that were out on their luck. The mood was dreary and tense, but now with more and more dragons being born, the hope seems to be returning to them.

The feast tonight has proven to me that with such a mix of people that the South has, there are bound to be difficulties. My upbringing, thanks to you, sets me apart from so many here. I find it difficult to transition to treating everyone with their new ranks that is befitted them, especially as riders. THe dragons do not care, they choose whom they will, regardless of personality or propriety. It is becoming difficult for me to maintain a cool head, though you'll be happy to hear Beramoth does his best to remind me that losing my temper is rarely worth the results. I regret to admit that in time I may have to apologize to the wretch that I have wronged tonight. His behavior is deplorable, but it is becoming painfully obvious to me that at impression I have made myself equal to all manner of individuals, and it is no longer my place to put people back into theirs. It is a difficult lesson to learn, but one I hope that you'll soon be proud of me for.

I shall write again soon.

{Signed} H'win, Beta Wingrider of Blue Beramoth, Sirocco Weyr

Lady holder Selah of Telgar,

Sirocco Weyr thrives. I am filled with regret that Telgar Weyr is suffering, and that Igen has closed for the foreseeable future, however, Sirocco has gained a wonderful new Senior Weyrwoman in Satya. The hatching of her great golden Rikeleth today was desperately needed. Thirty two dragons all hatched, not a single hatchling lost between! I could scarcely believe such fortune, but again I can barely believe that my dear friend Kelner (now K'nel) has impressed the young queen dragon. Many of us thought that for certain Sarine, Satya's eldest would receive the gold, but Sirocco seems to have other plans.

I do not know what this means for our weyr, nor for my friend. I worry about him, as there has never been a male goldrider on Pern before. The dragon is healthy, and as far as anyone can tell there is nothing wrong with any of the hatchlings. It is surprising that Rikeleth's bonded are impressing in such a way, when historically it has always only been Iridith's line. I recently heard that Eriseth at Ista impressed alternatively, but only for blue and greens. There must be something about this place that changes the dragons.

I wish I could say that this place had as much power to change people as it does the dragons. I feel my pride has hurt me once again. Another small scene at a feast caused by my inability to accept the way others behave. It is wearing heavily on my heart that I cannot seem to shed this desire to keep everyone in little boxes, like herbs. I feel I need it to survive, but the Weyr seems to blur the lines of friendships, making those that never would be friends at a hold, possible. The rank system is also confusing here. Dragon color denotes no legitimate honors any longer, however, everyone still holds bronzes and browns to higher standards, and still many of them are our wingleaders. It is as if there are two pockets of understanding, and somehow I am caught in the middle.

The longer I am here, the longer I feel I don't belong. My heart it breaks, and dragons seem to complicate things. I just hope that soon I will feel less alone. I will admit to you, mother, that I have found someone that stems my loneliness. Do you remember the Searchrider I mentioned in one of my earliest letters? I have fallen in love with Caleen of Blue Minith. She is a baker and a wonderful woman. I find that you would like her sweetness, and her strength. Perhaps someday you shall meet her, when I am once again welcome in the halls of Telgar.

Take care mother, and know that although my heart is breaking and I feel lost, there is at least one that holds me dear.
{Signed}

{Signed} H'win, Beta Wingrider of Blue Beramoth, Sirocco Weyr
^
H'win
 Posted: Dec 7 2017, 12:19 PM

H'win

Bluerider
The White Knight
-- --

Beramoth
#8ac0ef

Profile | Plotpage

Private Threads

H'win's hand hovered over the parchment and he felt his back itch and he wiggled about to ease the tension of the bandages over them. He had to tell his mother of his injury, didn't he? Finally, H'win huffed out a big breath of air and set the pen down. He had heard nothing from his family, save for a short letter from Callope to tell him that she had returned home safely. With a grunt, H'win pushed himself away from the table he used as a desk and walked slowly around the room. He felt the threadscore on his back and he fell face-first into his bed where he tucked his feet beneath the furs and tried to think.

He had heard little from Telgar since his graduation. Though his mother had written him often during candidacy and weyrlinghood, when H'win became a fully fledged writer her correspondence drastically ended. At first, he had merely thought it was because of the danger of thread, and how she might be frightened he would die so far from home, and so young. But even that had been months. He had sent her a letter shortly after the hatching, though it too had gone without an answer.

A wave of regret crashed into him and H'win had to take deep breaths, though it was difficult as he could only lay belly first with his wounds. It was easier now that he and Ilharen were speaking again, but the pain of losing his family was catching up with him. When he was a child, the thought of becoming a dragonrider and losing them had felt like a dream. Now that it was his reality, H'win felt the deep-seeded loneliness he harbored become a dark threatening force.

Beramoth stirred from his nap, and H'win waved his hand, though he knew his dragon could not see him through the curtain. Tentatively Beramoth poked his head through the curtain to peer at his rider.

You are never alone. The blue purred into H'win's mind, soft and soothing like a warm blanket as the blue wrapped his mind around H'win's.

"I know." H'win mumbled into the furs. He would always have Beramoth. The beautiful creature that had made him whole. But his dragon wasn't exactly right. Childhood loneliness seemed more vast, more terrifying than the cold sharper loneliness of adulthood, but it still clung to him like a shadow. H'win wondered if all those destined to be dragonriders felt so utterly alone, or if he was the only one.

There is a place for you, H'win. Even if we have to make it. Beramoth promised, and he lay his head down on the rough floor to stare at his rider, eyes whirling greens and yellow in comfort and worry.

H'win did not reply that time. He was no longer as confident as his dragon. Despite his upbringing and their efforts to prove their worth, H'win was just another nameless dragonrider. It would take turns to train, and even longer to prove his worth, and now that Weyrleader Kleos had implemented age requirements for wingleadership, it would take H'win turns and turns to regain any form of status he had lost in moving to a weyr.

Beramoth rumbled in protest. Dragonriders were highly ranked, regardless of the color of their dragon or the knots they wore. He did not understand H'win's obsession with them or even with turns. Time seemed to go by so fast for Beramoth, and H'win envied a dragon's short memory. If only he had one he could forget the life he had left behind. With another great sigh, H'win clung to the furs and buried his face in them so that it could catch his tears.
^
H'win
 Posted: Feb 6 2018, 03:55 PM

H'win

Bluerider
The White Knight
-- --

Beramoth
#8ac0ef

Profile | Plotpage

It was dark in H'win's weyr. He sat at the table, only one small covered glowbasket opened, the pale light illuminating only the table. The table was empty now, just like the wineskin and the empty cup that H'win still clenched in his fists. He felt alone in the dark, like he did often, even though Beramoth did not sleep. The blue dragon lay still in silent worry, eyes like distant lamps in the dark. There was nothing he could say.

H'win didn't know how to do this. Caleen was his lead for everything. He looked to her for guidance on how to live life in a weyr, how to have relationships, how to love. Ilharen had been there since the beginning too. A true friend. He relied on him so. H'win loved them both.

His heart felt stretched in two, and if he uncovered it, revealed the truth, it would break, slice itself in twain like a cracked nut. Would he be only a husk? Was there still something good, something delicious inside? Or when he broke would it reveal a rotten core, black and bug-ridden? He was not sure.

Fuzzy from the wine, H'win finally released his hold on the empty cup and wineskin. It was difficult to move gracefully, the wine loosening his limbs, but he was able to lean back in his chair without falling like the cup as it skid across the floor and then shattered. The wineskin fell limp and empty at his feet. The light of the glow wavered. Shouldn't drink so much, H'win thought. He blinked again, and light wavered once more.

"Oh." He said, and he wiped the tears from his face with the back of his hand. Oh. How often did he say such a stupid thing? Too often. He blinked a few more times, watching the edges of the light dance, and the table sway. Weightless and tied down at once! Whatever force that kept him in his chair was a miracle, and H'win felt grateful for it, for he thought that maybe, just maybe he could float away on the wavering of the wine and his tears, but he knew if he went limp and succumbed to the weightless feeling he would fall and smash his face against the cold and unforgiving stone.
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

View Topic Options Add Reply Create a new Topic Start a Poll

Dear guests and new members: Cbox is to the right!
We also have Discord Chat - To join, please click here.

'Sirocco' based on Alpha 2.0 by gunblaza. Coded by Capricorn for Sirocco Weyr
Forum Topsites, Rankings & Listings. Please Click to Vote Here!
TopRPSites RPGfix Pernese Online Shadowplay Topsites RP Lovers A Gift of Dragons
Online Communities
Pernese Online Caution to the Wind roleplay ads RPG-D RPGfix RPG Initiative
Affiliates
Southern Winds Weyr Fortune Favors the Brave